A graph paper is a paper that is printed with a network of small lines that run horizontal and vertical to intersect and form squares. They are used to aid in the plotting of graphs or other diagrams. Do you know that many free sites are available online through which you can download and print graph papers as per your needs? It is not necessary to make a trip to your local store to purchase a graph paper for yourself or for your kid’s homework. There are free printable graph papers online that you can easily download and print to serve your purpose. Most samples that are available online are optimized PDF documents that are compatible with Adobe Reader.
Why should you consider using printable graph paper?
• You save on cost: the decision to use graph papers that are printable from home will ensure that you save on the costs that you would have used to purchase the graph papers from your local store. If you are a heavy consumer of graph papers, printing free online graphs will help you save money that you have been using to purchase graph papers from your local store.
• It comes with convenience: If you are able to use printable graph papers within your homestead, you will not have to visit your local store to purchase a graph paper. Printable graph papers also make it possible for you to access graph papers whenever you need them through printing.
• Printable graph papers provide you with flexibility: A downloaded graph paper can be printed on a transparent film or a waterproof paper. Transparent film paper gives you added advantages as it ensures sharp graph paper overheads while waterproof graph paper are suitable for usage in the field when collecting data.
• Graph papers available online are suitable for many uses: The use of printable graph papers gives you the power to print papers that suit your specific needs. As such, you could go for online graph papers since they are suitable for math homework, science, craft projects, and other plotting needs.
• It reduces paper wastage: When you are able to print graph papers as per your demand, this will reduce the chances of you purchasing extra papers that may need to be disposed if not well kept for future usage.
What you should consider when choosing printable graph papers online
• Intended purpose: Before you decide on which printable paper to purchase, you need to consider the kind of work that you will put on the graph paper. Different graph papers may be needed depending on the plotting that you seek to make.
• Expected work condition: If you want a graph paper for data collection in the field or a paper to plot your collected data, the type of printable papers will differ for each task. A printable graph paper for field data collection may not need to be as accurate as that for representing data.
• Sizes: Online graph papers that you could print at home come in different sizes and you should choose the one that will accommodate all your plotting needs.
• Number of lines per inch: When plotting graphs and presenting data, the number of lines per inch determines your ability to present the data accurately. The standard number of lines per inch is five and this makes work easy when plotting.
What are the top 8 printable graph papers that are available online?
i. Cartesian Graph Paper
The Cartesian graph paper is the most widely used form of graph paper. The most conspicuous feature found in this type of graph papers is the two perpendicular sets of lines that form a grid square. The Cartesian graph paper is appropriate for the plotting of two-dimensional equations. It is useful for craft projects, layouts, sketches, and other non-mathematical graphics.
ii. Engineering graph paper
Engineering graph papers have similarity to Cartesian papers as they also feature two perpendicular lines that form a square grid. The difference is that engineering graph papers feature contrasting line weights that make groups of squares that are used to indicate distances. They also come in different measurements as either one-square centimeter or one-inch square millimeter clusters.
iii. Polar graph paper
This kind of graph papers is used for the graphing of polar coordinates. Polar graph papers have lines originating from a point that divide the field into 360 sections that are unmarked. The unmarked sections can be labelled as either radians or degrees, and they feature concentric circles that intersect the lines through selected intervals.
iv. Isometric graph paper
This type of paper is used when graphing three-dimensional functions or in the creation of isometric images. Isometric graph papers are characterized by its three sets of parallel lines that are representative of length, width, and height. These three sets of parallel lines intersect and form a grid of equilateral triangles.
v. Logarithmic graph paper
This kind of graph papers is used in the plotting of rapidly decreasing or increasing quantities that are spread over a wide stretch. Logarithmic graph papers use logarithmic scale to compress certain sections of the graph to allow it to represent a variety of data set. Logarithmic graph papers can be available in two forms: as either semi-log or log-log. Semi-log or semi-logarithmic graph papers use logarithmic and linear scales to plot its axes while the log-log or full-logarithmic graph papers use logarithmic scales for all axes.
vi. Hexagonal graph paper
Hexagonal graph papers are also known as hex papers and comprise of a network of tiled hexagonal drawings that form a grid. Hex papers are the ones used in the computer games, quilt makers, and in the study of tessellations. Quilt makers rely on the hex graph papers in designing intricate piecework sequences while gamers rely on hex graph papers in developing maps for the purposes of game navigation. Most hexagonal graph papers are measured through the help of a regular hexagon that has in it a circle of a user specified diameter.
vii. Probability graph paper
These graph papers are used to plot variable along normal distributions. Probability graph paper use probability scale on one axis with linear scale on the other. These graphs are used in the graphing of statistical data.
viii. Smith chart graph paper
These graph papers are used in electrical engineering for graphing variances of complex transmissions impedance along the length. Engineers use Smith chart graph papers to plot simple matches of transmission lines to their loads. Smith charts have copyrights implying that you can access them only through the permission from Analog Instruments Company.
As more companies make printable graph papers freely accessible online, there is an increasing shift towards their consumption. You should consider the free online papers that you can easily print through your home printer so that you are able to enjoy the convenience and flexibility of this product.